Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Grace of GRACE

From 03/10/2014
We went to “Kiabumba” Primary School today. This is a small school for children 3-6 years old in a small village in Kisoro District. Before we left a lady named Grace came, with Junior, to pick us up. Grace is a very lighthearted, jubilant woman. She smiled at all of us, shook hands, and radiated sunshine (seriously, that happy!). I sat in the front with her as we traveled back to “Kiabumba” Primary School, which she founded and runs.

The primary school was one building with two classrooms and a few smaller rooms in the back. The building has no electricity and the small classrooms were lit by sunlight. This didn’t stop the children from learning, nor did it dampen their eagerness to do so. Grace informed us that some children cannot afford the school fees, however, she hardly turns anyone away (even if she pays for it herself). The schooling fees for a year coast about $34 US dollars, which is amazing to think about. Despite the seemingly low price, it is still difficult for families to afford this schooling, but Grace tries to make a way for every possible student! Her name is well deserved!

As soon as we got out of the van, and just about every child in the village bombarded us. They surrounded us laughing, smiling, and shoving each other. I showed them the few pictures of my sisters I had; they laughed hysterically when I showed them the picture of LeAnne and I sticking our tongues at the camera. I played a few songs I had and then Liz singing “Head; Shoulders, Knees, and Toes”. They all seemed to enjoy the song and dance.

Ms. OB began to hand out silly bands, and a wave of bodies washed over her. As they received the silly bands, children ran over to me holding up their hands, silly bands proudly on display! I took out my camera, and everyone wanted pictures! They gathered smiling and holding their hands up to the camera.

“Na photo!”
“More photos!” they chanted. Love them.


After, we climbed stairs built into the side of a mountain and found ourselves at Grace’s house for dinner! She insisted we stay and we did. Grace invited me into the kitchen to help her prepare dinner. We made tomato soup, Irish potatoes, spicy beef noodles, and peas and greens! Our stoves were ceramic clay pots, with burning coals. The time it took to cook was more than worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment