Tuesday, March 11, 2014

"Muzungu?"

*From 3-9-2014*  

Today, for the first time in my life, I became classified as white. That’s right, Rachel Myers, the Ph.D. in African American & African Studies, is referred to as a Muzungu—meaning “white person”—by Ugandans. At first, Tianna and I assumed they were looking at us and using the term to describe the rest of our group members, but I soon learned that wasn’t the case.  We returned from a stroll around town and were loading up our safari green van when I decided to casually inquire about this whole “Muzungu” question with our driver, Junior.
            “Hey Junior, Muzungu means white person, right?”
            “Yes,” he casually responded with a slight smile.
            “Well…everyone keeps saying Muzungu to our group, but is there another
word they call us (pointing to Tianna and myself)?” Junior looked at Tianna
closely and inquired as to what she was (because Tianna and I don’t look
alike).
“She’s Jamaican,” I said. “And people have asked her if she’s Nigerian or
something else.” Junior shook his head in an understanding manner.
“But what about me?” I was getting worked up in a way I never have in my
life. “I’m not dark enough?”
“No, you are not,” Junior replied…I had clearly made him a little
uncomfortable. I thanked him for the insight and climbed into the rear of the
van.
I couldn’t believe what was happening. A rush of thoughts came to mind.  No one in America would ever consider me as being white and I certainly don’t self-identify as white (even if there is European blood flowing through me). When I lived in South Africa, I was a “question mark.” In living there for a few months, I got used to the “What are you” and “Where are you from” questions. French? Colored? “No, I’m black and from the U.S.,” I’d say. Then there’d be a follow up about President Obama. But now here I am, in a new African country, excited to interact with “my people,” and I’ve been labeled white. Umm, what??? As the emotions settled, my intellect kicked back in and I asked Junior a follow up question.
            “Hey Junior?”
            “Yes?”
            “Do Ugandans identify with Blackness? You know, like do they have a Black
Consciousness?”
            “No, we don’t…it’s mostly…”
            “…about ethnic groups?” I cut him off anxiously.
            “Yes, it’s about ethnic groups,” he replied.
            “Ahhhh, okay, that makes sense. Thanks!” That’s all I needed to snap myself back to reality.

I have learned that the reality of race in Uganda if you’re a Black American is this: If you’re not “dark enough,” or don’t have the “African” facial features—my nose was pointed out to me by a Ugandan woman who didn’t speak English that was trying to “figure me out”—that you’re a Muzungu or “half caste” (another label someone who identifies as being Black doesn’t enjoy). No one I mentioned the transatlantic slave trade to or history of U.S. slavery seemed to know what the hell I was talking about. So, as of Day 5 in Uganda, the African American half of my Ph.D. is pretty useless here…and so is a Black identity! But don’t read this the wrong way either…I’m loving Uganda and Ugandans. They are accepting of us and most are welcoming—the others tend to stare or laugh at the Muzungus…and we’ve learned to laugh at ourselves. Myself included. My fanny-pack probably doesn’t help me blend in anyway.

6 comments:

  1. Wow Rachel, thanks for posting. Really interesting encounter. Loved reading about it, and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an honor and a privilege to be able to read your post. There is a vicarious pleasure in hearing about the fascinating work and travels and a certain depth of feeling that you are offering such deep insights into the experience. Many, many thanks to you and all the travelers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you both enjoyed this post. It continues to be interesting here in Kisoro, as we wrap up our visit in this region of Uganda. A few other interesting things have happened:
    1) I was told I'd be accepted in Rwanda because of my more pointed nose--but given Rwandan history, I don't consider this an excited piece of information.
    2) Tianna was asked why she is not the same color as I am. She responded that she was Jamaican. I was then asked why I'm the color I am. I gave the U.S. slavery lesson---it didn't change my "muzungu" status.
    3) Jen O'Brien was asked by one of the teachers where the Black one in our group was from. Jen asked if he was talking about the taller or shorter Black woman. He looked puzzled and said, "you only have one Black one with you."

    ...my struggle for Blackness continues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your open and honest reflections. They are thought provoking. As my multicultural second grade class and I checked your blog today I paraphrased it for them. It was perplexing to them that you are meeting such wonderful people and they are shouting about your skin color. Connecting to what they know about civil rights, we had an animated and intense discussion about culture, skin color and ethics. They wondered what would happen if someone shouted White person (or Black person) here. Suddenly following your blog got a lot more personal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your class had an intense and enriching discussion. I wish there were more teachers like you out there. It's so important to discuss race, culture, and self-identity early. THANK YOU Laurie!

      Delete