Friday, March 7, 2014

Getting on "Africa Time"

Exhaustion doesn't describe the state my body was in just a couple of hours ago. What a difference a nap makes!

This isn't my first time to Africa, yet I clearly repressed the awful memory and feeling of jet lag that go hand in hand with roughly 20 hours worth of flying and an 8 hour time difference.

After watching a beautiful sunrise in Uganda and having a wonderful breakfast complete with two cups of strong coffee--my favorite part being the fresh passion fruit and pineapple-- my body began to shut down. I couldn't do it...I had to take a nap. I felt a twinge of shame, as Dr A and Dr. O'B were fighting the good fight; even the kids were fairing better than I was!

The shame didn't last long though...I awoke to Sara Kozlu's iPhone alarm and had to be the one to turn it off. Sara, Liz and Tianna had all joined in on the "I'm not ready for Africa Time" nap I had started and they're still going strong! I'll wake the girls shortly, as it's going to be time for lunch here soon.

Meanwhile, all of you whom we love so dearly in the U.S. are sounds asleep--it's 3:30am on the East Coast. We'll all eventually get on "Africa Time" within the next day or so as we embark on this amazing service trip. There's nothing quite like the beauty of the African landscape, but for the moment, know that we haven't forgotten there's no place like home.

Dr. M

3 comments:

  1. Just saw a picture of that beautiful sunrise...soooo, are you sure this isn't just a sweet vacation in Uganda?? Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We’re glad that you're all safely on African soil. Our class is following your blog as part of an African Unit in Reading. We’re jealous and want to be there, too. We're also excited that you're teaching in a school because it will be interesting to learn more about what school is like in Uganda.

    Mrs. Gardner’s Second Grade Class, Manchester, CT

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete