Monday, March 10, 2014

Celebrities in Africa

Driving around Uganda and getting waved at and shouts that consist of muzungo/mazungo (white people) and "GIVE ME MONEY" was one thing, but driving into a school with about 700 students is insane. As we pulled up to the Katarara Primary School, kids swarmed around the van and yelled muzungo/mazungo and were all very excited. I actually became nervous. I was overwhelmed, feeling like a celebrity. It was all good and fun showing them stuff like Head Shoulders Knees and Toes and Sharks and Minoes, but I had the most fun just doing wacky stuff like going crosseyed or making sounds like a horse. They all seemed to enjoy it so much, and I thought after that it was really fun to help with the computers and entertain pretty much all of the other students. However, now that I look back on it from tonight, I still think that it was fun, but now I feel kind of upset (I don't know if thats the right word for it). The more the way I think about the kids looked at us, like super rich foreigners, makes it all feel upsetting to me. They all seemed more into our stuff than our company and I was asked at when we were leaving for money and a little before that food. I want to help and donate, but give to one and you have to give to all. I think they appreciated us being there to help teach and learn from them, but there were some moments that made me a little uncomfortable. There were a lot of good moments too. My favorite of the day was a young girl who while I was standing facing away from her felt down the hair on the back of my head. I'm excited to go back tomorrow, but also a little jumpy.

Nate Hellmuth

No comments:

Post a Comment