Friday, March 14, 2014

Conserving & Enjoying Nature...Do I Really Have to Care About Everything?

Today was an amazing day. After waking up before the sun to catch a ferry that lead to a Game drive, I, along with our superb Watkinson crew and drivers, Tony and Junior, saw the wonders of African nature. Giraffes, Bushbuck, Elephants, Water Buffalo, Jackals, and so much more! It was magnificent!

We then stopped for a great bite to eat and promptly drove to our next destination; a ferry ride along the Nile River to a drop off hike to Murchison Falls. Again, we saw nature at her best. We passed crocodile and hippo families co-existing amongst all different types of birds and antelope species. The hike up Murchison Falls was epic and I high-fived everyone when we reached the top...it was one of those cheesy, yet meaningful moments for me and I hope the rest of the group felt the same way about our tremendous ascent.

That is the nature I love of Africa. The lush green, the wildlife, the arid savannah, and the natural wonders like the Nile. But there's also the nature a loathe...the nature that's just too much for me.

Bugs. I hate them. I'm not exaggerating and there isn't a bug that I can tolerate. Part of my distaste for insects certainly comes from their appearance, but most of it comes from the fact that I can't control them most of the time.

For instance, I couldn't feel when the giant Preying Mantis made its way up my leg while we were getting ready to eat lunch back in Kisoro. My first instinct was to immediately send it flying across the ground with zero regard for its life. BUT, I remembered who I was with and why we were there (and I briefly remember learning many years ago that Preying Mantis' were rare?). So I pulled a "Ricky Bobby," cupping both hands around the outline of my thigh and franticly said to the table, "Oh my God, what's on my leg!?" The waitress--who was clearly not phased by the leaf-like monster--calmly ushered the mantis off of my leg and onto the pavement. Dr. O'Brien and at least half of the other kids got up to take pictures of the bug. I, on the other hand, tried to calm my nerves.

However, these past two nights have been particularly trying on my phobia of bugs. We're staying at this seemingly "amazing" Eco-Lodge...and for the most part, it is amazing. Solar power, great food, friendly and knowledgeable staff, towels on your bed, HOT water (a dream come true), and even a gift shop! But the bugs people...the bugs! I won't go into details, but know I am typing this blog in the dark, swatting random moths and other flying atrocities from my bright computer screen. Having a light on above would attract much worse and reveal the large ants that are likely to be roaming around my feet. I'll be heading up to the dormitory soon to cocoon myself under my mosquito net; the only comfort I feel while lodging here.

I know I may sound whiney, but I've just had more close encounters with insects in these past two days than I've had in a full summer of working an overnight camp in rural Pennsylvania--truth!

So, while I understand that our mission is to help conserve the beauty of Uganda and enjoy all its natural wonders, do I really have to care about conserving and enjoying the bugs?

*Sorry Dr. O'B!*

1 comment:

  1. All is forgiven. I forget that other don't respond to bugs with the same love and delight I do. The swarms of flying termites and hundreds of ants roaming around the dining table brought joy to me- and horror to the rest of you. Yet you persevered and made it through like a trooper!

    ReplyDelete