Tuesday, August 13, 2013

What's for Dinner

A great day of planning and talking to people was capped of by eating an invasive species and finding a toad.  For those who know me, that is a PERFECT night!!  We ate dinner at local restaurant that serves beef fillet roadside for less than $6.00, but what really caught my eye was the smoked Nile Perch.  For years, the Nile Perch has been one of the species I highlight during my invasive species unit in Environmental Science.  Imported as a sport fish to Lake Victoria, these enormous predatory fish have decimated the local fish populations that are the staple of the Ugandan people.  While the Nile Perch wasn’t that unusual for a Ugandan menu, I felt particular pride in eating a such harmful species. Eating invasives is growing movement to control these invaders around the world.  Shout out to the invasive species menu at Miya’s Sushi in New Haven- location of our Zoology spring field trip. For more on this, check out my Env Sci webpage.  My contribution to this conservation effort  (yum!) might pale in comparison to the eventual eating themselves out of existence that is slowly occurring. Check out more about Uganda, Nile Perch and native fish here


Smoked Nile Perch
Best part of the night may been arriving back at our house and finding a toad hopping across the ground.  I caught it!  Yet another trip where I have found a frog/toad.  From the frog I found in the bathroom of the Riding Rock Inn on the island of San Salvador, Bahamas during a college tropical bio field trip to my beloved coquis of Puerto Rico, my Holy Grail is still a frog in Oaxaca, Mexico!  Yet this little guy will tide me over for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment