Sunday, August 11, 2013

'Want to go to Uganda?'

That was the question Dr Doyle posed to me in our office last school year. Wondering what he exactly meant, I jumped at the chance and quickly said sure. Little did I know that simple question would lead me to this trip exploring possible service work in Uganda. I like to think my grad work in ecology and the conservation/biodiversity programs of Uganda brought me to this. But more likely it is the past few years leading the Oaxaca Mexico service trip with all its adventures, pitfalls and work helping the children of The foster home, Casa Hogar, and teaching English in two elementary schools there. Inspired by Amelia Maggio's Senior Project working with an orphanage in Uganda, we will look for ways to combine service with children and a science focus in the wilds of Uganda. So starting with our arrival at 3:15am tomorrow (we are on a layover in Cairo right now), we will begin making the connections we hope will bring Watkinson and Uganda together. Amelia's father, Chris, is hosting us and helping us connect with his school, the International School of Uganda. On a side note, I have a stack of exams my students completed last spring about environmental and biodiversity projects in Uganda in my carry-on. Their words, ideas and questions will inspire me each day!
-Ms OB

No comments:

Post a Comment