Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A Day Full of Grace

Here are a few images that just barely capture the amazing day we had with Grace at the Kyibumba Nursery School.  More blogging...

I saw a little boy sitting by the wall eating his lunch without a spoon. Plain rice, a reflective steel bowl and his little muddy hands; and his small body in that bright-yellow uniform contrast sharply with the grey wall behind him. He stood up and walked away shyly before we could get a picture. This image and the 3 hour experience of merely playing with these kids just strike me so much that I cried later in the day. I really hope them not to fall in the paths like some other wandering alcoholic adults there. Please study, please stay healthy. Because outside that fence, there were more kids, they wanted to come in and go to school yet they cannot. We are all lucky dogs here, I really appreciate that.       Lluvia Lu

This trip has been amazing. Thank you all who supported me be able to come here.  Today was incredible. I have never experienced anything like being at the preschool. Not just the preschoolers but the locale people were teaching me their locale language (Lufumbila) and I've been working on Luganda. I also got to learn some of their games and we got to teach ours too. The loved the hand games. I would love to stay here for longer but  I know Clifford (my dog) misses me just as much as I miss him.  I hope everything is great back in the US. -Erica Villaparedes

As I reflect on today's visit to my new friend, Grace's, Kyibumba school I am constantly reminded of the emotions that over powered me as the students greeted us with warm smiles, waves, some stares, lovely songs, skits, dances, and flowers! During our particular skit, one group of students asked another group of their peers what will they be in the future? Some replies were, "I will be a sister, I will be a doctor, and I will be a teacher!" As tears are now freely flowing from my eyes, I was filled with happiness and pride because these students reminded me of something I tend to forget from time to time...that is how much of an impact teachers have on their students! I am so proud to say I am a teacher and these students reminded me of this! - Jessica Payne

Kyibumba Preschool. This is a place that the world thinks about as less fortunate, but what it doesn't know is that there is so much love here. The other teachers work so hard to make sure the kids know their lessons and have a good foundation to build the rest of their education on. Grace is the most unimaginably bright, and giving soul and these qualities are something that makes life seem like the great unknown is your greatest asset and that anything is possible because of it. I hope that I never forget that.
- Geva Tinker       






8 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of all of you, hope that you'll treasur that experience and use it to realized how fortunate you are and never take anything for granted, I'm proud of you Geva.
    Auntie Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What precious words, precious faces loving and open hearts- I admire these children and families and all the wonderful work you are doing. So proud of you all!!!! Lessons learned through open hearts of giving!!! You all rock. Love to all!!!! Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope all is well and you are getting some good shots. Enjoy every minute!

      Delete
  3. A picture is worth a thousand words. I love seeing you all smiling and the sweet children you are working with. May you have many days of Grace. Thank you for taking care of each other and our world.
    Love,
    Momma Fitz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will forever be Thankful to the Watkinson School for presenting this opportunity of a lifetime. I also know that all the students will return home with a different outlook on life because of this experience. We were reminiscing about reading about and hearing stories about Uganda when we were growing up in Jamaica and how far away the Continent of Africa was and now knowing that you are getting the chance to walk on the soil of the "Mother Land" Geva, it just brings tears to my eyes. Take it all in; be respectful, be kind, give thanks and be blessed. Love you. Mom, Dad,and Granddad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will forever be Thankful to the Watkinson School for presenting this opportunity of a lifetime. I also know that all the students will return home with a different outlook on life because of this experience. We were reminiscing about reading about and hearing stories about Uganda when we were growing up in Jamaica and how far away the Continent of Africa was and now knowing that you are getting the chance to walk on the soil of the "Mother Land" Geva, it just brings tears to my eyes. Take it all in; be respectful, be kind, give thanks and be blessed. Love you. Mom, Dad,and Granddad

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete